Traditional Ainu Dance Performance and Iomante Fire Festival at Lake Akan
Enjoy a fantastical performance of the traditional Iomante Fire Festival, a seasonal ritual of the local Ainu preserving historic song and dance.
Watch as performers take the stage to present a traditional Ainu dance, designated as an important cultural asset, and a UNESCO World Intangible Cultural Heritage. Dance is integral to the life of the Ainu People, who used to sing and dance in rituals and gatherings of family or friends. Ainu dance is not only aimed at enjoying themselves, but also at expressing respect or gratitude to ancestors or kamuy. These dances are called ‘Rimuse’ , ‘Upopo’ or ‘Horippa’ depending on the region. There are a variety of dances for many different parts of life. Some dances take inspiration from nature or the motions of animals, hunting, even joy and sorrow. Every region has unique dances handed down carefully from generation to generation.
▼ Read more
Schedule & Location
Time & Location
Time & Location
20:50 Pick-up or Check-in at Akanko Ainu Theater Ikoro
21:00 Iomante Fire FestivalJoin the Ainu people for a traditional performance of the Iomante Fire Festival. The dancers begin quietly slowly building the singing and dancing to new heights, seeking to become more beautiful and impressive than the kamuy of the forest. Ekashi offers a prayer for peace.
PerformanceThe flame soars, and the people sing and dance to the sound of the mukkuri (Ainu mouth harp) that echoes like the wind.
Check-out at Ainu Theater Ikoro or Drop-off at Lakeside Hotels
- Adult's fee is applied to junior high school students or above.
- In the autumn performance, elementary school students may watch for free.
- The activity schedule is subject to change or cancellation due to weather or traffic conditions.
- We can offer transportation service to and from Lake Akan lakeside hotels for night performance watchers.
- The time schedule of the performance may vary with the day.
- On October 9 during the Marimo Festival, the performance will not be held.
|Credit card payment|
- Any cancellations made after 2 hours prior to the activity start time will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount.