Visit a Japanese-Style Paper Umbrella Workshop and Make Your Own Mini Umbrella
Learn about the process of making a beautiful Kyoto-style umbrella from craftsmen at Hiyoshiya, a workshop which has existed for over 100 years, then create your own mini paper umbrella too!
Japanese umbrellas are traditionally made of bamboo and specially-treated paper. Each can take a few weeks to months to create, and are used as dramatic accessories, decoration or even in kabuki plays!
▼ Read more
- Duration: 2 hour(s)
- Available: Tue, Thu
- Pick-up: Not available
- Inclusion: English-speaking assistant / Japanese-speaking instructor / Workshop observation fee / activity participation fee
Package detail / Schedule Close
Schedule & Location
Time & Location
Time & Location
15:00 Meet at Hiyoshiya
Explanation and Demonstration by CraftsmenLearn about the expert skills and intricate processes required to make a kyowagasa (Kyoto-style Japanese umbrella), performed by bamboo umbrella rib craftsmen, wood workers, Japanese washi paper craftsmen and Japanese umbrella craftsmen.
Miniature Japanese Umbrella Making ExperienceYou make a miniature Japanese umbrella by attaching Japanese paper to a special umbrella frame, and shape the umbrella by hand!
17:00 Activity Ends at Hiyoshiya
- If less than 2 participants are booked, the activity may not operate.
- Children 6 years old and above can participate in this activity.
- The workshop is not a sightseeing facility. So we ask you to please use the restroom before visiting the workshop to avoid, as far as possible, using the bathroom there.
- We will guide you through the workshop. Please be respectful of the craftsmen when they show you around the workshop.
- There are chairs in the workshop.
You have to take off your shoes.
- You are allowed to take photos.
- This activity is held primarily in Japanese. The staff can speak simple English.
Booking Requirements (# of participants, vehicles, hours, etc.)
- You can book a maximum of 6.
|Credit card payment|
- Any cancellations made after 23:59 local time, 1 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount.