Today's Berlin Exposed Bike Tour with Ride along the Former Runways of Tempelhof Instant Confirmation
Explore Berlin's edgier side with one of our local guides on this contemporary Berlin tour. Street art, squats, and stories of "only-in-Berlin" happenings make this tour a Berlin specialty.
▼ Read more
Today's Berlin Exposed Bike Tour with Ride along the Former Runways of Tempelhof
Contemporary Berlin has earned a reputation as a vibrant bastion of counter culture, progressive thought, and creative spirit. It’s a city teeming with “stay-cationers”, street art, and non-conformists, while juggling with gentrification, a real estate boom, and even a high-tech boom.
Some of the topics and sites exposed on this Berlin Bike Tour include colliding ambitions: For some, bare post-Cold War areas mean appealing public spaces, while for others this land represents unique investment opportunities. The urban renewal of Berlin; the former Tempelhof airport and reclaimed no-man’s-land are two impressive examples of Berlin’s continuous, almost organic, development that few other cities can rival. The Multi-culturalism’s benefits come with integration struggles and stereotypes. On the bike tour you will delve deep into Kreuzberg to focus on Germany's historical guest worker programs and how this impacts Berlin’s current politics and social dynamics. See both famous squats as well as where this endangered lifestyle is being transformed. Discuss with your tour guide how these concepts evolved, and what the future holds for them.
- Duration: 5 hour(s)
- Available: Sun, Tue, Fri
- Pick-up: Not available
- Inclusion: English-speaking guide / Fully guided tour by bike of Berlin / Beach cruiser or City style bike with easy gears and comfy seat plus helmet (provided but optional) / Stop for lunch (cost of lunch not included)
Package detail / Schedule Close
Schedule & Location
Time & Location
Time & Location
10:30 Depart on your tour of the REAL Berlin!
Real Estate BoomWhere once empty plots or derelict buildings stood, new buildings are quickly popping up. Areas once thought unsafe are being gentrified. You'll see and discuss how this is transforming Berlin's landscapes and demographics.
Tourists AboundBerlin has steady growth in tourism and after Paris & London is Europe's third most visited city. While on the one hand tourists are appreciated for their spending, some wonder how the sudden influx changes the dynamic for spaces once only cherished by locals.
Former Tempelhof AirportOriginally Germany's first airstrip, Tempelhof rose to extreme importance as West Berlin's lifeline during the Berlin Airlift of 1948/1949. It's recently been closed and is now a massive city park. Bike the original runways and see how Berliner's are transforming the incredible space.
The Turkish MarketWhile on Sunday's we'll witness Berlin's quasi-religious brunch scene, on Tuesday's and Friday's we'll pass the famous Turkish Market. From textiles to fruits, it's a colorful, bustling affair.
Former No-Man's-LandWhat to do with the space where the Berlin Wall once stood? Many areas are converted to parks. Though reclaimed and recycled uses for land is nothing new in Berlin, as this area was also the site of a former canal.
Counter-cultureWhat may not be accepted elsewhere, or at least deemed radical thinking, is considered an integral part of life in Berlin. Discuss how it's come to pass that counter culture has flourished and what the future holds for squats, open spaces and unauthorized clubs amongst others.
Media SpreeSince the fall of the Wall, cherished riverfront space has undergone massive change. Some wish to see it further developed while others wish it to remain more Bohemian. We'll discuss both sides of the issue.
Berlin's high-tech boomBerlin's creativity has spread to high-tech with the start-up scene thriving. Capital is moving in to the city hoping to fund the next big venture in an effort for Berlin to top even London as Europe's high-tech capital.
Cycle along Tempelhof RunwaysIt's an amazing feeling to bike along the former runways of Tempelhof and join in with the locals taking advantage of Berlin's newest mega-park.
- Will move by metro from the meeting place. You will be required to purchase a bicycle ticket (€ 1.50) and metro ticket (€ 2.30).
What happens if it rains?
- The tours run rain or shine. The tours in the rain can be a different kind of fun and an even more fun memory! The guides try their best to take cover but sometimes you will be exposed to the elements. Pocket-sized rain ponchos are for sale in the shop and it is highly recommend that you purchase one before the tour. If you don’t use it, the shop will buy it back from you - it's a bit of a rain insurance policy!
Do we go inside the Berlin museums and monuments?
- The tour guides cannot enter the Berlin museums and monuments. German Law restricts museum guides to their authorized officials. Plus, some people would want to spend only ten minutes in the museum while others would prefer 3 hours. Your guide, and the shop staff, will be happy to show you exactly how to go back to any sites you would like to explore further or visit the interior. This applies to all bike and segway tours except Gardens and Palaces of Potsdam Bike Tour from Berlin. This tour includes entrance tickets and audio-guide of Cecilienhof Palace in Potsdam.
Do I need to bring anything with me for Today's Berlin Exposed Bike Tour with Ride along the Former Runways of Tempelhof?
- Be sure to bring your camera and some cash for the lunch break. It is also recommended that you bring an extra layer of clothing in case it gets chilly during the tour. There is a luggage rack on the e-bikes so you can easily carry some small items with you.
Do we stop for lunch on Today's Berlin Exposed Bike Tour with Ride along the Former Runways of Tempelhof?
- Yes, you will make a stop for lunch during the tour. Please remember that the cost of food is not included in the tour price, so make sure to have some cash with you.
Is this bike tour of Berlin suitable for children?
- Yes. This tour is a great options. Families and kids are very welcome. There are several types of kids' bikes, seats, and helmets available to make sure everyone of all sizes is comfortable on Today's Berlin Exposed Bike Tour. The kids will love the ride along the former runways of Tempelhof Airport!
What if I haven't ridden a bike for a while? Can I continue to join the bike city tour of Berlin?
- Don’t worry, it’s just like riding a bike! The tours move at a very comfortable pace so don’t worry if you are a bit rusty. If you are worried about being comfortable on the bike, feel free to stop by the shop a bit early and you can take a few practice laps.
Please click HERE to send an inquiry about this activity
|Credit card payment|
- Any cancellations made within 72 hours prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount.