Ostia Antica Half Day Tour from Rome by Train Instant Confirmation
Visit Ostia Antica on a day trip from Rome and discover one of the best preserved ancient ruins in just a short train journey from Rome. Find out on your own what was it like to live in Ancient Rome.
▼ Read more
Today, experts are calling Ostia Antica “The Better Pompeii”. After a brief, 30-minute ride on a local train in the company of your capable guide, you’ll arrive at ‘Ostia Antica’ or Ancient Ostia. This ancient city was founded in the 4th century BC and was once inhabited by over 100,000 people.
The astonishing highly preserved condition of Ostia’s buildings makes a walk through this archaeological park a true step back in time. Structures included taverns, baths, apartments, markets and theatres – and their intact state so strikingly exceeds that of the Forums and Pompeii, that it doesn’t seem correct to call them ‘ruins’.
- Duration: 5 - 5.5 hour(s)
- Available: Sun, Tue, Thu
- Pick-up: Not available
- Inclusion: Admission / Train fare / English-speaking guide
Package detail / Schedule Close
Schedule & Location
Time & Location
Time & Location
08:40 Your train to Ostia departs
Ostia AnticaWalk the main street, the Decumanus Maximus, while your tour guide invites you to imagine a day in the life of a merchant in this active port city. The Roman statues that line the walkways are in such good condition you might feel as though you are walking amongst the ancient Romans themselves!
Tour endsAt the end of your tour you can choose to remain at the archeological site, explore the modern town and nearby beach of Ostia, or simply head back to Rome by train with your guide. The price of your tour includes an open train ticket back to Rome, which you can select to use at your leisure.
13:00-13:30 Arrival back in Rome if you choose to come back with your guide
- This activity is not wheelchair accessible.
- Gratuity is not included in the price.
- Guests are free to remain in Ostia after the tour if they so choose but they will be unaccompanied. Return train tickets are provided to all customers.
- This tour involves a fair amount of walking, comfortable shoes are recommended.
- Please note that, for those who want to spend the rest of the day in relax, there is a beach near Ostia Antica, which can be visited unaccompanied after the tour. Your guide will give directions to go to the beach.
- In case of a transport strike or other unforeseeable problems with the public transport system, a minibus will be provided at no extra cost to transport the clients to and from Ancient Ostia.
- We recommend bringing beachwear along for clients interested in visiting the beach of Ostia unaccompanied after the tour.
|Credit card payment|
- Any cancellations made after 08:40 local time, 3 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount.