Gardens and Palaces of Potsdam Bike Tour from Berlin with Cecilienhof Palace
UNESCO's Potsdam is Berlin's most popular day-trip destination for good reason! It's perfect for biking with many Prussian and Cold War sights tucked away. Come prepared for an action-filled day!
▼ Read more
You will start by taking the train (25 kilometer travel journey to Potsdam) from the meeting point near Berlin TV Tower where your bike will waiting for you. In 6.5 - 7 hours, including transport time, this bike tour covers about 16 km (10 miles) so there is a bit more biking than usual city bike tours of Berlin. However, Potsdam is also quite flat with lots of sights and stops.
Here are some of the many reasons why we think you’ll love our Gardens & Palaces of Potsdam Bike Tour. With its 20+ palaces, numerous parks and gardens, unique WWII and Cold War role in history, and distinct present-day flair, that Potsdam is far more than the 'Versailles of Berlin', but rather earning of its UNESCO World Heritage status in many ways. Learn about and appreciate the power, lifestyle, and grandeur of the Hohenzollern legacy through their various lavish gardens, parks, and palaces. You'll understand the impact the Potsdam Agreement at Cecilienhof had on Europe to close out World War II foreshadowing an era of tension and distrust in the ensuing Cold War. Fast-track entry and audio-guide into Cecilienhof Palace will be included and you'll have plenty of time to explore the interior. You'll be able to compare the Potsdam of today - a vibrant university city filled with creative minds and energy - within the backdrop of life under communism behind the Iron Curtain. At the end of your bike tour, travel on the train back to our shop in Alexanderplatz Berlin.
- Duration: 6.5 - 7.5 hour(s)
- Available: Sun, Wed, Fri, Sat
- Pick-up: Not available
- Inclusion: English-speaking guide / Fully guided bike tour between Berlin and Potsdam / Beach cruiser or City style bike with easy gears and comfy seat and helmet (provided but optional) / Stop for lunch (cost of lunch not included) / Round-trip train transportation from Alexanderplatz to Potsdam / Entrance and audio guide at Cecilienhof Palace
Package detail / Schedule Close
Schedule & Location
Time & Location
Time & Location
09:45 Depart Berlin for PotsdamStart by taking your bikes from the Berlin TV Tower meeting point and jump on the train to Potsdam.
New PalaceThis largest of palaces was built by Friedrick the Great to house guests. Deep in the Sans Souci Park, enjoy biking the grounds to reach this tucked-away palace.
Sanssouci PalaceThe most famous and photographed of Potsdam's palaces is undoubtedly Sanssouci Palace. With its unique yellow color, baroque flair, and location atop Sanssouci Park it's a highlight of the tour. You have time to walk around the former residence of Friedrick the Great.
Orangerie PalaceThere are so many palaces and monuments in Potsdam it's hard not to take them for granted. The beautiful Orangerie was built in typical Italian Renaissance style, adding unique diversity to the architecture surrounding Sanssouci Park.
Sanssouci ParkYou have time to get off the bike and explore Sanssouci Park on your own. Grab numerous pictures and soak in the beauty and tranquility where once Friedrick the Great and Voltaire walked.
Cecilienhof Palace with Visit InsideVisit Cecilienhof, another of Potsdam's great residences and also the venue of the historic Potsdam Conference at the end of the Second World War.
Glienicke BridgePotsdam lies in former East Germany. However, when we cross over the Glienicke Bridge - famous for the spy exchanges that took place here during the Cold War - we'll briefly be in West Berlin.
Bike through ParksMany of Potsdam's parks and gardens are under UNESCO protection. You'll enjoy a relaxing bike ride through numerous parks to reach the various sites and palaces.
Lots of photo opportunities!Potsdam isn't just a bikers playground, it's also ideal for taking pictures. With so many parks, palaces, extravagant monuments, and bombastic houses be sure to bring plenty of film/memory.
What happens if it rains?
- The tours run rain or shine. The tours in the rain can be a different kind of fun and an even more fun memory! The guides try their best to take cover but sometimes you will be exposed to the elements. Pocket-sized rain ponchos are for sale in the shop and it is highly recommend that you purchase one before the tour. If you don’t use it, the shop will buy it back from you - it's a bit of a rain insurance policy!
Do we go inside the Berlin museums and monuments?
- The tour guides cannot enter the Berlin museums and monuments. German Law restricts museum guides to their authorized officials. Plus, some people would want to spend only ten minutes in the museum while others would prefer 3 hours. Your guide, and the shop staff, will be happy to show you exactly how to go back to any sites you would like to explore further or visit the interior. This applies to all bike and segway tours except Gardens and Palaces of Potsdam Bike Tour from Berlin. This tour includes entrance tickets and audio-guide of Cecilienhof Palace in Potsdam.
Do I need to bring anything with me for the Gardens and Palaces of Potsdam Bike Tour from Berlin with Cecilienhof Palace?
- Be sure to bring your camera and some cash for the lunch break. It is also recommended that you bring an extra layer of clothing in case it gets chilly during the tour. There is a luggage rack on the e-bikes so you can easily carry some small items with you.
Do we stop for lunch on the Gardens and Palaces of Potsdam Bike Tour from Berlin with Cecilienhof Palace?
- Yes, you will make a stop for lunch during the bike tour. Please remember that the cost of food is not included in the tour price, so make sure to have some cash with you.
Is Potsdam as flat as Berlin?
- Almost. Berlin is great for cycling in large part because it is so flat. While a large portion of the cycling on the Gardens and Palaces of Potsdam Bike Tour from Berlin with Cecilienhof Palace is done in parks and very quiet streets, there are some inclines along the route. None of the inclines are cause for concern as the tour moves at a very relaxed pace and the small hills we do encounter are very short- you probably won’t even notice
Do we bike all the way from Berlin to Potsdam?
- No, after meeting in Alexanderplatz (near Berlin TV Tower) you will travel together with the tour guide on the train to Potsdam. The bikes will be stationed and ready for you! Once there, the tour will start on bikes and you are right into cycling through the beauty of Potsdam.
Is the Gardens and Palaces of Potsdam Bike Tour from Berlin with Cecilienhof Palace for children?
- The tour guides love having families and children on tour. There are several types of kids' bikes, seats, and helmets to make sure everyone of all sizes is comfortable on the bike tour. The Gardens and Palaces of Potsdam Bike Tour from Berlin is a bit longer of a ride and a longer tour day than our other bike tours, so please consider whether this longer activity is right for your kids.
What if I haven't ridden a bike for a while? Can I continue to join the bike tour?
- Don’t worry, it’s just like riding a bike! The tours move at a very comfortable pace so don’t worry if you are a bit rusty. If you are worried about being comfortable on the bike, feel free to stop by the shop a bit early and you can take a few practice laps.
Do we go inside Cecilienhof Palace?
- Yes. You will enter Cecilienhof Palace where you will participate with a great informative audio-guided tour. The guides cannot, however, enter other monuments because German Law restricts museum guides to their authorized officials. Plus, some people would want to spend only ten minutes in the museum while others would prefer 3 hours.
Please click HERE to send an inquiry about this activity
|Credit card payment|
- Any cancellations made after 09:00 local time, 2 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount.
From USD 51.51
From USD 51.51
Taxes & fees included
1% Reward Points
|Duration||6.5 - 7.5 hour(s)|
|Availability||Sun, Wed, Fri, Sat|
Share your experience with other travelers.
101947 4 [EN_31101_162135, EN_31101_162136, EN_31101_162205, EN_31101_162224, EN_31101_150120]