Pingvellir National Park Day Trip and Snorkelling in Silfra from Reykjavik
A combination adventure day tour in Þingvellir National Park with caving in Gjábakkahellir & snorkeling in Silfra. Take a day trip from Reykavik and see what's under the skin of Iceland!
▼ Read more
Start with the black as you e xplore the hidden world of the lava field under the Þingvellir national park. Walking in a cave and discovering the marvels that volcanic activity has created in the past is a trip that everyone can undertake.
- Duration (incl. transportation): 6.5 - 7.5 hour(s)
- Available: Daily
- Pick-up: Available
- Inclusion: Snorkeling equipment including specially made thermal suit, neoprene hood, dry suit, neoprene gloves and neoprene shoes. / Headlight and helmet.
Package detail / Schedule Close
Schedule & Location
Time & Location
Time & Location
09:00-09:30 Pick-up from Reykjavik hotels
09:30 The Adventure Begins!
The Black (~1 - 1.5hours)The Gjábakkahellir cave is a perfect example of an Icelandic lava tube and is situated in one of the most active volcano areas in the world. Enter the cave and see the beautiful formations created by nature.
The Blue (~45 mins - 1 hour)The crystal clear water in the deep fissure of Silfra gives you a feeling of being weightless as you float down with the lazy current. The snorkeling is a relaxing but exotic trip in an environment most will only encounter in their dreams.
16:00-16:30 Drop-off back in Reykjavik
- Guests must be able to swim to participate in this activity.
Required Items to Bring & Attire
- Warm and waterproof outdoor clothing, gloves and hat
- Change of clothing
- Shoes suitable for hiking
- We recommend participants are comfortable in water and have basic swimming skills.
- Since you are wearing snorkeling / dive goggles to see underwater there can be nothing in the way of the seal to keep them from filling up with water. That is, you can not wear glasses underneath the goggles. You will have to go without them, wear eye lenses or bring your own goggles with prescription.
- In the cave Gjábakkahellir there is one place you have to crawl a little, over one big rock. (Summer 15/05 - 15/09)
- The temperature in the Silfra is almost constant all year round at about 2°C.
- You can rent a good quality waterproof camera from arctic adventures for an additional 7500 ISK. The guide will put them onto a disc straight after the trip. They also sell disposable cameras at their shop / office in Reykjavík for 4500 ISK.
- During the Winter (16/09 - 14/05) this tour operates in Leiðarendi cave, which is closer to Reykjavik than Thingvellir and is bit tighter and more crawling will be required.
|Credit card payment|
- Cancellation less than 2 days (48 hours) prior to the tour: 100% charge
Cancellation between 7-2 days prior to the tour: 30% charge
Cancellation more than one week (7 days) prior to the tour: 10% charge
Taxes & fees included
1% Reward Points
|Duration incl. transportation||6.5 - 7.5 hour(s)|
Share your experience with other travelers.
103311 4 [EN_31401_163459, EN_31401_163460, EN_31401_163438, EN_31401_163491, EN_31401_167971]