Vesuvius Tour With Optional Crater Adventure Hike from Pompeii Instant Confirmation
If you’re a history or archaeology buff who wants to step off the beaten path and learn the full geological story of the area, our Vesuvius Tour is the perfect experience for you.
▼ Read more
Led by local geologist, you ascend the long-dormant volcano to learn the history and geology of the sleeping giant, as well as the full story of how its 79 AD eruption decimated the bustling port city below. The more adventurous will have the option to hike around the crater with the guide, while those who place more value in la dolce vita can admire stunning views of the Bay of Naples.
- Duration: 3.5 hour(s)
- Available: Sun, Wed, Fri
- Pick-up: Not available
- Inclusion: Round-trip transfer from Pompeii to Vesuvius / Entrance tickets and reservation fees to the Vesuvius Park / Special access to the highest point of Mt. Vesuvius / Dedicated expert local English-speaking tour guide
Package detail / Schedule Close
Schedule & Location
Time & Location
Time & Location
09:50 Meet your guide outside the Tempio Travel ticket office
Tour of Mount VesuviusTravel by air conditioned transport up the formidable slopes of Mt. Vesuvius, the volcano responsible for the famous events at Pompeii. The volcano is monitored very closely and although very unlikely to occur, the park will be immediately closed to visitors if there is any sign of activity.
Enjoy spectacular views over the Bay of NaplesWhen you reach close to the summit you can wander along the well-maintained foot path and enjoy incredible views of the Bay of Naples - or simply relax in the cafe and enjoy the views. Your guide will explain the history and geology of this sleeping giant!
Optional crater hikeSet off on the 2km hike around the crater - a unique experience that you can’t get without a special Vesuvius guide. Along the way your guide will tell you all about the geological history of the mountain and give you unique insights into the forces at work beneath the surface of the earth.
13:15 Tour ends back in Pompeii
- Gratuities to guides are appreciated but never obligatory.
- Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate guests with mobility impairments, wheelchairs or strollers on this tour.
Comfortable walking shoes recommended.
- Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.
- All entrance fees to Vesuvius are included in this tour. Transport between Pompeii and Vesuvius is also covered. Please note, however, that transport from your base city to Pompeii is not included..
Booking Requirements (# of participants, vehicles, hours, etc.)
- You can book a maximum of 15.
What languages are your tours conducted in?
- English. This tour does not operate in multi-language, which means you’ll never have to wait for translations.
How will I recognize my tour guide?
- Either your tour guide or a tour coordinator will be waiting at the tour meeting point 15 minutes before your tour start time. They will be holding up a sign with the Walks of Italy logo on it.
What If I’m running late to my tour?
- We ask all guests to arrive at the tour meeting point at least 15 minutes before the scheduled start time of their tour. If you have difficulty finding the meeting point or are delayed along the way, please call the emergency phone number, (Italy) +39-069-480-4888 not the regular customer service number.
How far in advance should I book my tour?
- It’s hard to say. We recommend booking as soon as you can as these services often sell out in advance and have limited-availability. If you know what tour you want to book though, we would always say to book as soon as you can.
The tour description says tour is 'all-inclusive'. What does that mean?
- It means the tour price listed on our website includes all ticket, reservation and entrance fees. There won’t be any nasty surprises on the day of your tour, so you could leave your wallet at home (unless you felt like tipping your tour guide).
Do you accept last-minute bookings?
- When we have space! Check the website for availability first. If you can’t find what you’re looking for there is a chance that it's sold out or it may just be off-sale because it's within a day or two of tour running time.
Should I tip my tour guide?
- It’s really up to you. If you enjoyed your tour and feel like you received exemplary service from your guide, it is customary to leave a tip at the end of the tour. It’s not obligatory though and we won’t hold it against you if you don't – nor will your guide.
Can I take your tours if I have walking difficulties or require a wheelchair?
- Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate wheelchairs on most of our group tours for a variety reasons. That said, in most cases we can serve wheelchair users on our private tours, to allow the guide to adapt the route to their particular requirements. Please get in touch with us before you book, however, and be aware that guests are responsible for propelling their own chairs – guides will be unable to do this.
I am traveling with a small child – can I bring a stroller with me?
- Not on all tours. Please get in touch with our us before bringing a stroller on your tour. Some sites will not allow you to bring a stroller inside and we may not have suitable storage options. If you let us know in advance we can help you to arrange a suitable solution.
What should I bring on my tour?
- We recommend all customers bring photo ID with their date of birth listed plus the confirmation voucher. For all tours involving walking, we would recommend that you wear comfortable shoes. If you’re visiting in warm weather (May – Sep) we recommend that you bring sunscreen, a bottle of water (which you can refill along the way) and a hat. During the cooler months we would recommend that you bring a coat and possibly a rain jacket and/or umbrella.
It’s raining, is my tour still running?
- Yes! The tours run rain or shine. On some very rare occasions, when the weather is particularly dramatic, some outdoor sites may be closed. On these occasions we will try to contact you in advance, where we have warning.
What’s the difference between a ‘group’ and a ‘private’ tour?
- A group tour is one where you join a group of other travellers and a single guide – our groups are usually around 12 people, although they can be a little larger, particularly on day trips. Because our groups are so small, you’ll still find it easy to hear and interact with your guide and it's more effective than a private tour, which is when you pay to have your own personal tour guide (and/or transfer) just for you.
Please click HERE to send an inquiry about this activity
|Credit card payment|
- Any cancellations made between the booking confirmation date to 10:00 local time, 3 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 10% of the total amount.
- Any cancellations made after 10:00 local time, 3 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount.